Peer Pitch & Concept Refinement Chart

 

CATEGORY 

DETAILS 

Film OR Magazine 

Magazine 

Genre 

Sports 

Target Audience (Be specific) 

Special Interest Magazine because it focuses on how basketball is influential in our culture, and the age range of this magazine would focus on younger people who are accustomed to our modern culture. 

What is your concept? (Be thorough & specific. Review the links on Blackboard) 

The concept of this magazine is a magazine featuring NBA and college stars and emphasizing the cultural influence their position has. For example, players use their platform to showcase new styles of fashion and to market large shoe brands, and they have historically been very successful in their influence of showing off new hairstyles and evolution of sneakers. 

How did you conceive the idea for this concept? 

This idea was conceived with inspiration from previous sports magazines like SLAM and ESPN The Magazine, which is now defunct. These magazines marketed their product exceptionally well to the target audience by using the most marketable athletes of the time and creating a relationship between them and the culture, most notably Allen Iverson’s impact on fashion, jewelry, hairstyle, etc, in the early 2000’s 

What do you believe is unique about your concept? 

My concept differs from other magazines of its kind because the culture around basketball has evolved and there is a bigger spotlight around basketball players than in the past, and players have expanded their platforms from solely influencing things like fashion and food, to now advocate for social justice. 

Why do you believe this product will be of interest to your audience? 

This product will be of influence because basketball players have found ways to impact many diverse areas of American and worldwide culture and under the umbrella of this influence is something that can relate to everyone, whether it is music, fashion, sneakers, food, and something can be found that relates to anyone in this hypothetical magazine 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FEEDBACK RECEIVED FROM PEERS 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Use original pictures using player’s fashion sense as the most popular thing. 

  • Use pictures from games and try to market young players rising in the league. 

  • Use events rather than the individual players. 

  • Consider the target audience and how one can alter the target audience to reach out to different areas of people. 

  • Expand to different areas not just including basketball players, such as football players or rappers. 

To begin with, I took a lot away from the feedback that I was given about my magazine concept on the cultural impact that basketball personalities hold. In reference to the article I annotated, one of the editors, Demary, states that “It's important to be in tune with the interests and conversations of readers who gravitate toward certain books while articulating their desires for greater literary representation, not only in who is published, but in ideas and perspectives.” I believe this will be a main point of focus in whichever concept I eventually gravitate towards because being in touch with a younger audience, as the article states, can help market a magazine better, and I think the concept I ultimately choose will target people 10 to 35 years of age heavily. 

It is also a large point of emphasis in the article that an independent magazine should have some diversity so that it can apply to many different audiences, and the feedback that I was given ties into this. The main point I was given in my feedback is that this must be my own, with my own interviews with players and such, and my classmates suggested that my concept could work better if I expanded from solely basketball players to similar professional areas like football and rap. 

While my article to annotate does slightly contradict my ideas, I will make an effort to make this apply to many audiences through taking my feedback and incorporating it. In regard to other feedback, this was specific feedback on what I could do to better popularize my magazine, such as marketing the younger players, considering how I can alter the target audience to reach out to different, and using player’s fashion sense as a main emphasis, of which all of my feedback was very appreciated. 

Comments